THE DOCTOR IS IN - Let's reiterate COVID-19's latest, whether you, Friend Reader, believe these bullet points or not:
1) For all you, anti-vaxxers, the proof keeps coming out that a vaccination is a whole lot better than intubation. If you hate the concept of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccinations, then take two vaccinations of the old-school Johnson and & Johnson vaccine.
2) The Delta Variant of COVID-19 really SCREWED things up!
3) For all you "follow the science" folks, getting vaccinated the hard way (getting COVID-19) is at least, and perhaps even better, a form of resistance to every doggone variant so far that we've encountered--blood tests for antibodies are key!
4) Getting vaccinated, and getting COVID-19, allows at least 6-8 months of as much protection against the virus...but then a whole lotta folks' immunity drops off.
5) Getting vaccinated or getting COVID-19 protects YOU, but doesn't protect you from spreading the virus to others if you get exposed to it.
6) If you're not confirmed as OK with respect to Vitamin D levels, you're probably LOW in Vitamin D and need to take Vitamin D (at least 1-2000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day).
7) The focus on vaccinated for children age 5-11 might be the LEAST beneficial effort we've pursued for confronting the COVID-19 variants than ever we've done to date. Screw Pfizer--in this case, they're probably silly.
Let's throw out a few new bullet points for the new Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus, shall we?
1) Even the doctor who rightfully (a good, honest doctor if ever there was one--seriously!) raised the alarm of the Omicron variant only says that the symptoms are unusual but mild.
2) "Feeling so tired", but without any loss of taste or smell, and being sick for what is usually a day or two, is hardly any reason for panic.
3) Arguably, the old or infirm or immunocompromised are the ones who MIGHT be more sick...so get vaccinated, dammit, like every doctor has recommended all along!
4) Research is indicated, but the concern about the Omicron Variant quite possibly might be as false alarm as any, and no need to see the stock markets plummet--travel restrictions or not (and those restrictions won't do a damn bit to prevent or ensure that this variant won't arrive here in the ol' United States.
5) The politically-correct avoidance of calling this the Nu or Xi Variant from South Africa is totally lame, and further destroys the credibility and support for both the WHO and China. And we really shouldn't trust or let China off the hook for quite likely starting COVID-19 in a lab outside of Wuhan--both the old and new Administrations are drawing the same conclusion.
So perhaps this new variant might mutate, which is the ONLY reason to consider caution...but freaking us out like was necessary with the Delta Variant from India is about as "not following the science" as anything we've done.
Let's go into concern-overdrive when it's indicated, folks...and let's not fall into the realm of paranoia when it's NOT indicated.
(Kenneth S. Alpern, M.D, is a dermatologist who has served in clinics in Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside Counties, and is a proud husband and father to two cherished children and a wonderful wife. He was termed out of the Mar Vista Community Council (MVCC) twice after two stints as a Board member for 9, years and is also a Board member of the Westside Village Homeowners Association. He previously co-chaired the MVCC Outreach, Planning, and Transportation/Infrastructure Committees for 10 years. He was previously co-chair of the CD11 Transportation Advisory Committee, the grassroots Friends of the Green Line (which focused on a Green Line/LAX connection), and the nonprofit Transit Coalition His latest project is his fictional online book entitled The Unforgotten Tales of Middle-Earth and can be reached at [email protected]. The views expressed in this article are solely those of Dr. Alpern.)